Steve is a widely accomplished senior automobile marketing and media executive who has driven billions of dollars in revenue and market share growth while achieving industry leadership for new and established brands. He has worked with companies such as Toyota Motor Sales USA and AOL and is proficient in creating process improvements while managing multi hundred-million-dollar budgets. Steve is skilled at deploying complex multimedia advertising and corporate communication strategies, using both new and traditional tools and techniques.
SELECT INTERIM EXPERIENCE
Company Stage Focus: stages
AOL – Category Development Officer, Automotive
Drawing from deep industry expertise, managed cross-functional team in developing a business plan for uncovering new revenue streams, expanding the prospect base, and delivering creative client solutions. Strengthened sales capability, and brought structure and discipline to go-to-market programs. Collaborated with editorial, sales, BD and M&A teams. Managed social media campaign. Made presentations to key agencies and clients. Developed and executed a tent pole communication strategy leveraging key industry events.
• Delivered $10M+ in new annual revenue, exceeding targets every year.
• Took brand awareness to leadership levels among industry leaders.
Advanstar Communications – EVP & CMO
Leading trade show and B2B publishing company with controlled circulation magazines and digital properties in the fashion, power sports, licensing, and life sciences markets. Led a team of more than 50 in developing and executing all marketing, communication, audience and attendee development and new product programs for 143 events, 54 publications, and 253 electronic products and websites. Identified new revenue streams. Built brand and corporate value. Managed PR campaigns and drove social/new media strategies.
• Delivered an innovative brand presence within each business platform, and for the company overall.
• Positioned company for acquisition, sold to UBM.
Toyota Motor North America – Group VP, Corporate Communications Strategic Planning and Research
With a $35M+ budget, and leading direct and indirect cross-functional teams, oversaw development and execution of NA corporate marketing, external affairs, and investor relations, as well as supported Latin American sales and marketing. Conducted economic, business, and competitive analysis. Built US-based capability to synchronize global messaging.
• Leveraged company strengths to improve overall company image, reducing risk and liability relative to safety recalls and other PR challenges.
• Raised awareness and recognition of global corporation in the US among key opinion leaders to leadership levels.
• Led award-winning comprehensive global and corporate advertising and social media campaigns, establishing a consistent and unified global image.
• Developed and executed a political reputation-based ad campaign targeting Washington, DC key opinion leaders, favorably impacting legislative and regulatory actions.
• Marketing Board Member, ThinkLA – a Media marketing and advertising collaborative
CREDENTIALS & AWARDS
• MBA, New York University
• BS in Economics, City College of New York, City University of New York
• #5 among Ad Age’s “50 Most Powerful People in Marketing”
• Ad Age Power Players
• Ad Age Marketing 1000 Awards
• Cannes – Gold Lion Award
Years Executive Experience: (20)
# of Interim Roles: (1)
# of Board Roles: (1)
Company Size: ($XM-$10B)
• B2B and B2C Marketing
• Marketing and Advertising Strategy
• Corporate and Model Branding
• Integrated and Digital Marketing
• Product Launches
• Event, Sports and Entertainment Marketing
• Market Research
• External Affairs / Public Relations
• Trade Shows / Events
• Media Strategy – Traditional / Digital (New)
• Product Placement
• Advertising & Media