John Y Lafferty
John Lafferty is founder of CFO-Pro. For more than 40 years, he has been a business advisor to corporate and privately held business enterprises, as well as private and corporate investors. He has a comprehensive background in dealing with seasoned entrepreneurs, start-up ventures, and emerging and mature businesses in a variety of industries.
Lafferty’s consulting expertise has evolved through many years spent in the accounting field, the venture capital arena, and consulting practices. He has a firm understanding of the fundamental aspects of many industries including manufacturing, distribution, construction, real estate development, high technology, and various types of service businesses. His strength lies in advising clients in strategy development, operations improvement, and revenue and margin enhancement. Lafferty’s grasp of how the operations, marketing and finance disciplines are interrelated provides him with the value-added advisory skill set integral to creating value in each of his clients’ respective operations.
The specialized services he provides include: virtual CFO services, development of revenue and operating expense models, preparing financing packages, advisory board services, implementing revisions to financial reporting systems, financial and operational analyses of proposed acquisition targets, and training in accounting and finance.
SELECT INTERIM EXPERIENCE
Company Stage Focus: Early Stage, Turnaround/Distressed, Private, Family Owned
Interim CFO, HR Services Organization
On growth trajectory to double $10M to $20M in next three years
Interim CFO, Food Services
Sales from $12M to $26M in five years
Interim CFO, Food Services Organization
Units, sales and profits doubled in five year period
Interim CFO, Wholesale Distributor
Sales from $4M to $32M in four years.
Interim CFO, Travel Services Organization
Sales from $9M to $15M in three years; very tight cash position to cash surplus
• Managed cash flow from negative to positive – $800,000 improvement in first year.
• Developed metrics to measure financial and productivity trends to monitor and adjust pricing for services in a fast growth environment.
• Revamped financial reporting for CEO/Owner to highlight results and trends for taking action on issues.
• Brought focus to margins and cash flow for CEO/Owner who needed to grow the business.
• Built financial model for CEO/Owner to determine rate of sales growth without needing outside funding.
• BSBA – Accounting, Bradley University
• MBA, Northeastern University
• CPA, Illinois CPA Society
• 2014 CFO of the Year Award
Years Executive Experience: (25+)
# Interim Roles (20+)
Company Size: ($5M-$20M)
• Financial Analysis
• Budget, Cost & Internal Controls
• Business Valuation
• Acquisition Integration
• Pricing Strategies
• Sales Forecasting
• Process Improvement
• Operations – Cost
• Business Services
• Environmental Services
• Exit Planning
• Food Service
• Information Services
• Professional Services
• Restaurant and Hospitality