Interim CEO, CFO, COO, Turnaround
Mark is a seasoned C-Level executive with a diverse managerial background in financial and operational management, corporate development and venture capital.
Mark currently is CEO and Co-founder of SAVD Solar, Inc., a development nano-engineering company. SAVD recently received a $2 million funding led by the New York State Energy Development Authority to commercialize the company’s technology at SUNY Polytechnic in Albany, NY.
Previously Mark served as CFO at Crossett, Inc. an 85 years old petroleum transportation company.
His prior assignment was President and CEO at PeriOptimum, a healthcare technology company that used real-time location technologies in conjunction with its proprietary software solutions to optimize throughput in hospital operating rooms.
Prior to PeriOptimum Mark was co-founder and CFO of LogicLibrary, an enterprise software company in the application development space.
Prior to LogicLibrary, Mark served as chief operating officer at Pittsburgh Plastics, an advanced materials concern where Mark led the manufacturing roll-out of Schering-Plough’s Dr. Scholl Gel Insole product.
Mark was also a principal in two venture capital firms: the Keystone Minority Capital Fund, L.P., as a founding general partner; and KOPVENCO, one of the most respected corporate venture companies.
As CEO he successfully directed the turnaround of Robin Woods, Inc., a venture backed manufacturing company.
As the long-time volunteer CFO for the early stage Haelan Health Corporation, a drug delivery technology company, Mark was instrumental in concluding a 50/50 joint venture with Kodak’s Eastman Chemical Company.
Mark also held corporate-level financial management positions at Westinghouse, where he was Manager of Financial Planning for its $4 billion Industries & International Group and was a commercial banker at PNCBank.
An active community volunteer, Mark sits on the board of Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. He has served on the boards of East Liberty Development, Inc., Three Rivers Rowing Association and the Pittsburgh Zoo, where he chaired the design and construction committee for the new aquarium.
SELECT INTERIM EXPERIENCE
Company Stage Focus: Startup, Public, Family Owned, Late Stage Venture Funded, Early Stage, Fortune 500, Turnaround/Distressed, Private, Private Equity Backed
Interim CFO, $30 million+ transportation company
• Restructured and expanded banking, accounting, ESOP and insurance relationships
• Corporate tax structure changes reducing tax rates by 50% on an ongoing basis
• Created first budgeting and financial planning process for this 85 year old transportation firm
CEO, $5 million healthcare technology company
• Repositioned the company from an IT to a healthcare process improvement services and technology provider.
• Re-tooled the sales and marketing function creating a sales driven culture.
• Created new sales model for ‘subscription based’ wireless product delivery.
CFO & Co-founder, $10 million enterprise software company
• Raised $30M+ in capital for this enterprise software company, including $5.2M of start-up capital in the most challenging venture capital market on record.
• Created the business infrastructure for LogicLibrary.
• Customers included IBM, Honeywell, General Electric, MetLife and other global companies.
COO, $25+ million advanced materials company
Responsible for directing the growth of this rapidly growing advanced materials concern.
• Doubled production and productivity; led development of new medical/commercial lines.
• Planned and coordinated construction of a new 60,000 square foot production facility.
• Introduced a comprehensive quality program that reduced costs.
Interim CEO, $5 million manufacturing turnaround
Directed the turnaround of this $5M venture-backed manufacturing business.
• Hired professional management team that formed into a highly focused, effective group in a turnaround situation.
• Raised prices by 40% based on a strategic analysis of the business and the market, while increasing orders by 39% through improved marketing techniques and delivery capabilities.
• Winner of the TransTech Energy Conference competition ($10,000 grand prize) in 2013
• Distinguished Service Chapter Member of DELTA TAU DELTA, the Fraternity’s highest honor. Since 1929 about 300 citations have been made. Of more than 125, 000 members who are alive today, less than 100 are DSC members. Some noteworthy DSC members include Supreme Court Justice Tom C. Clark, baseball’s Branch Rickey, sportsman John Galbreath and Desiderata author Max Ehrmann.
• METCAL, Palo Alto, California: Advanced metals materials
• CERAMETEC, Salt Lake City, Utah: Industrial and semiconductor ceramics
• ADVANCED REFRACTORY TECHNOLOGIES, Buffalo, New York: Industrial ceramics
• SAVD Solar, Inc., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Nano-engineering technology
• LOGIC LIBRARY, INC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Enterprise software/Web Services
• MBA – Finance: The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
• BA – Speech: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
• The Venture Capital Institute, Chicago, IL
Years Executive Experience: (35+)
# Board Roles: (11)
Company Size: ($100k-$200M)
• Building a Management Team
• Board Advisory
• Corporate Negotiation
• Corporate Development
• Corporate Governance
• Joint Ventures
• Budget, Cost, & Internal Controls
• Business Valuation
• Debt and Refinancing
• Financial Analysis
• Risk Management
• Corporate Finance
• Process Improvement
• Client Relations Management
• Business Development
• Direct Sales
• Partner Programs
• Sales Pricing Strategies
• Company Sale
• Acquisition Integration
• B2B Marketing
• Advancing & Emerging Technologies
• Systems, Integration & Infrastructure
• Team Development
• Technology Development